Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tail of Devotion for Samoa, Violet, and Calvin


I always had cats in my life when I lived with my parents. When I was in college, and later married, I developed severe allergies to cats from not being around them anymore. I knew that I would never own a cat. My famous last words!

Enter living in the country . . . . . stray cat . . . I’ll just feed her on the porch . . . . .winter arrives . . . . . she can stay in the garage . . . . . it’s so cold out in the garage . . . .start the weekly allergy shots.

Enter Samoa. She is the quiet, sensitive cat with the little sounds, soft purrs, and tiptoe movements. Not until I got involved with Catster and started photographing my pets did I realize that Samoa is such a diva. She loves the attention, the boas, and the posing! It is our special time together. I love that she tries to act tough and intimidating around Calvin and Violet when she is really scared of them. She is the princess and everyone knows it. She has the most beautiful markings, and the softest, down-like fur. She is a princess, and I love her so much!

Enter Violet. Boy with a girl’s name. A neighbor who didn’t care about their cat owned Violet. However, because of the attention and food, he hung around our house, and eventually never went back to his other place. Violet is the loud talker, noisy walker, cabinet climber, furniture scratcher. But that is what I love about him – he is so smart and knows how to get what he wants. I love the way Violet sleeps at the foot of the bed every night, and like clockwork, massages each of my shoulders! He is very affectionate and loves when you talk to him and stroke his face. I love photographing Violet outdoors. He is a beautiful cat with such expression!

Enter Calvin. My heart. I have never loved an animal the way I love Calvin. He belonged to my Mom’s twin sister. He was a stray when he came into her life. She died of cancer four years ago, and the day after the funeral, her husband took Calvin and his three siblings to the humane society. I adopted all of them, found homes for the other three, and kept Calvin. He spent a week under the bed. I think it was his way of saying he didn’t want to leave. He is the most affectionate cat – always on a lap, a big cuddle bug that has to sleep right next to you. He purrs like a motorboat, and loves to kiss Violet. He rules the house – sleeps wherever he wants, tells you when he wants to eat, and occasionally chases Samoa through the house! I thank God every day that I rescued him, and I know my aunt is smiling knowing that he is bringing joy to our lives.

>> WATCH THE VIDEO TAIL OF DEVOTION

Laura, the Mawmee

4 Comments:

Blogger Skeezix the Cat said...

Samoa, Violet and Calvin are so lukky to have yoo! And yer were so sweet to reskyoo Calvin and his sibs! What a marvilus storey!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Carolina Cats said...

What a great story of devotion. The video is wonderful too!

Finny & Buddy's mom

4:22 PM  
Blogger tiggerprr said...

What a nice story! :) They're so lucky to have you. :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Frend of Skeezix said...

Our extra votes:

Samoa votes for Pippin
Calvin votes for Boogers
Violet votes for Kaze

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home